commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <>
Subject Re: Bug in "RandomDataTest" ?
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:41:38 GMT
Hi Gilles,
> My worry is that the test fails for many choices of seeds. And I don't know
> how to figure out whether the unit test is wrong, or the code is wrong, or
> it is normal that the choice of seed has such an influence on the test (in
> which case it should be documented that not all seeds are equal...).
> Thanks,
> Gilles
I've had the same concerns while working on MATH-692. I do not have a
satisfactory answer, though. People seemed happy to just use a seed
that works, but I'm not sure we are proving anything at all. Maybe
what should be done is compute a probability of failure of the test by
sampling the seeds. Of course, the unit tests would become quite
expensive, so we might think of a way to carry them out optionnally.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message