commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Serializable transforms (MATH-677)?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 09:06:07 GMT
2012/1/4 Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>:
> Le 04/01/2012 02:21, Sébastien Brisard a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I'm currently working on MATH-677 (cleaning-up o.a.c.m.transforms). I
>> notice that all classes in this package implement Serializable. I'm
>> wondering whether there is a practical use for this. If not, I would
>> rather remove this functionality. What do you think?
>
> I like to have everything serializable (but probably belong to a
> minority here). My rationale is that when a user put one of our class as
> a field in its own classes and need his classes to be serializable, he
> needs to have our classes serializable. This also is almost never a
> problem to add this, as it is often simply a matter of declaring an
> interface and putting a static serializable ID field.
>
> I use it a lot for ODE step handlers for example, as it allows to store
> the complete history thoughout an integration run and reuse it later. As
> there are pointers back and forth between various parts (step handlers,
> events handlers, integrator ...) many classes in this package must be
> serializable. I guess similar rationale may apply to other packages.
>
> Luc

Actually, I didn't realize that the use-case you are talking about
could apply to my simulations as well... which make heavy use of FFTs.
So maybe it's better to keep this functionality. Only, I need to be
very rigorous with serial version uids ;). Or is it at release time
that we care about regenerating these numbers? Is this task somehow
automated?

Sébastien