commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1226175 - in /commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_6_RC2: ./ src/changes/ src/java/org/apache/commons/pool/ src/java/org/apache/commons/pool/impl/ src/site/ src/site/xdoc/ src/test/org/apache/commons/pool/
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:59:40 GMT
2012/1/4 sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
> On 4 January 2012 14:24, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And how did you create the workspace?

>>> <quote>
>>> commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_6_RC2/
>>>     - copied from r1222662, commons/proper/pool/branches/POOL_1_X/
>>>   commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_6_RC2/NOTICE.txt
>>>     - copied unchanged from r1226157,
>>> commons/proper/pool/branches/POOL_1_X/NOTICE.txt
>>>   commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_6_RC2/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>     - copied unchanged from r1226155,
>>> commons/proper/pool/branches/POOL_1_X/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> This (partial) extract references r1222662 r1226157 r1226155
>>>

>> SVN continues to confuse me, I thought SVN revisioned trees, not individual
>> files?

>>> That could explain it.
>>>

>> That does not make sense to me because I'm the one who did the last few
>> commits. It matters as you point out.

>>> That does not prove much.
>>>
>>> The tag itself hopefully corresponds with the source archive - did you
>>> do a fresh checkout of the tag and build from that?
>>>

>> Arg! I did a build from my normal workspace. I guess I do not understand
>> how an up-to-date workspace can be different from what the tag creates.
>
> For a start, a random workspace can contain unversioned files. If
> these are ignored, they won't show up.
>
>> Questions:
>>
>> Is the tag wrong or is the build wrong?
>
> Both, I think.

For reference, that is called "mixed-revision working copy",

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.mixedrevs

Technically you can create a tag from it, but it complicates further
maintenance. It is always better to do "svn up" before tagging.

(and "svn st" in case if you have uncommitted local changes)

>> Can a new RC be avoided by creating the tag correctly from what I have?
>
> No, I don't think so.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko