commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <b...@systemoutprintln.de>
Subject Re: [lang] What about Duration class? (org.apache.commons.lang.time)
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:17:02 GMT
Am 25.01.2012 21:02, schrieb Taras Ledkov:
> I'm very sorry if this problem has been solved in some way.

No need to be sorry, as everybody can see, you did some research on this
topic ;-)

> But i found only discussions about duration&  joda-time dated 2004.
> (http://markmail.org/thread/733yqv5zwzsngj3j)
> Now i really need in Duration functionality (especially such as
> Duration.parse(String)).

I heard about joda-time a while ago. My impression is, that the joda
project is not that active anymore (please correct me, if I'm wrong). So
I would vouch for additions to lang regarding durations. What I'm also
really missing in lang.time is conversation of durations. For example:
DurationUtils.convertToMinutes(long seconds).

> I don't understand the Commons point on this issue.
>
> - Commons Lang doesn't need in own implementation of this
> functionality and you suggest use joda-time?
> - Commons Lang needs in simple&  lightweight implementation of Duration?
>
> Also i cannot find correspond issue in jira (but Eric Crampton in 2004
> wrote about
> "Commons Lang task list that there is a need for DateRange/Duration classes").

As you said, it is a while ago, since this was discussed. So let's
review this topic again.

What are your thoughts?

Regards
Benedikt