commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] Generics and next release
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:02:30 GMT
Thank you for the hard work Oliver. The generified API alone is worth a
release IMHO. Other Java 5 features like better synchronization can be
added later.

I think the heavy refactoring can still take place on the experimental
branch, the Java 5 migration is simply no longer one of its main objectives.

Emmanuel

Le 16/01/2012 02:21, Ralph Goers a écrit :

> On Jan 15, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the "generification" of [configuration] is now complete. The tests were addressed,
too. Clirr does not report any compatibility breaks.

>> If you do not have any objections against the current API, we can start thinking
about a new release. There are some Jira issues I am going to have a look at. Are there other
wishes/changes that should go into a 1.8 release?

> 1. Are we dropping the experimental branch?
> 2. Now that we are using Java 5 I'd like to change the locking I added from syncrhonization
to read/write locks as that will significantly reduce contention thread contention.
> 3. It is my intention (whenever I can find the time) to create an AggregateConfiguration
that works similar to CompositeConfiguration but supports HierarchcialConfigurations. This
will be much more memory efficient than CombinedConfiguration, at least when used in a manner
similar to DynamicCombinedConfiguration, and have a lot less locking issues. However, I'd
like it to be configurable from DefaultConfigurationBuilder. Needless to say, I don't see
this happening for a 1.8 release if that is going to happen soon.
> 3. It is still on my wish list to make the hierarchical configuration the base instead
of the flat structure, but that will have to wait for a 2.0.