commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [ALL] Maven 2 - (was Commons Parent pom - any more changes needed?)
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:13:08 GMT
Le 08/01/2012 12:11, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>>> I guess there are still a lot of m2 users, and for the next few years
>>> there will still be many. At least when I run an "aptitude search maven"
>>> on my Debian Linux box, I only see maven 2 supported. Getting rid of
>>> maven 2 is not an option for me now.
>>

> Out of curiosity: why can't you run m3 on debian linux? m3 is java,
> you should be able to download it and place it in your path.

I probably could. I simply did not try yet, and relied only on what was
provided by the distribution.

> I thought everybody who wants to build commons components himself
> should be able to install m3 on every plattform with java around. Or
> do I miss something?

My point is simply that requiring very specific tools or tools versions
that require specific knowledge or installation should be avoided if
possible. We don't have the resources to help users installing these
tools too.

Luc

>> I'm not sure how it is relevant whether commons users use maven 2 or 3. Even if we
require Maven 3 to build a commons component anyone can still use it in a Maven 2 build. They
only would require Maven 3 if they actually want to build one of our artifacts on their own.