commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Maven 2 - (was Commons Parent pom - any more changes needed?)
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:48:03 GMT

On Jan 8, 2012, at 4:13 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 08/01/2012 12:11, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :

>> Out of curiosity: why can't you run m3 on debian linux? m3 is java,
>> you should be able to download it and place it in your path.
>
> I probably could. I simply did not try yet, and relied only on what was
> provided by the distribution.
>
>> I thought everybody who wants to build commons components himself
>> should be able to install m3 on every plattform with java around. Or
>> do I miss something?
>
> My point is simply that requiring very specific tools or tools versions
> that require specific knowledge or installation should be avoided if
> possible. We don't have the resources to help users installing these
> tools too.

Requiring a newer version of the same build tool should not be an unexpected event.  Many,
many projects are already using Maven 3 so it isn't like we are venturing into uncharted waters.

You have to require something.  Frankly, I'd be more worried if we said we required Gradle
or Ant since that would almost require our end users to look inside the build script or whatever
documentation we provide to figure out how to run the build.

Ralph