commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "Sanity Check of APIs, etc." by MattBenson
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2012 03:07:45 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "Sanity Check of APIs, etc." page has been changed by MattBenson:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Sanity%20Check%20of%20APIs%2C%20etc.?action=diff&rev1=3&rev2=4

Comment:
WIP

     Agreed. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-10

   * '''''@inheritDoc tags should be removed if no additional description is provided in the
subclasses. This tag is only useful for extending the description from the method of the super
class.'''''
+    It's also useful for establishing ''some'' comfort level that someone has at least ''thought''
about whether further javadoc is needed for a given method, and satisfies e.g. checkstyle
rules that exist for the same reasons.  This is one of those religious topics that will keep
people busy for weeks with no resolution, but if you feel that strongly let's have a Commons-wide
vote once and for all about whether to require javadoc etc. etc.  Otherwise it's just per-project
preference IMO, much like the other style rules (personally I'd rather have a uniform code
style across Commons than optional javadoc in X component, but that's just me).  MJB

   * '''''what's the point of having equals(T) methods in addition to equals(Object) ? It
clutters the API.'''''
+    I agree with this.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-11

   * '''''CollectionTransformer has a todo stating : "TODO revisit this class..."'''''

   * '''''There are several untested classes in the composite package'''''
+    Noted.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-12

   * '''''Most of the equals/hashcode methods are not tested'''''
+    Added to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-12