commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Maven 2 - (was Commons Parent pom - any more changes needed?)
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:16:22 GMT
On Jan 8, 2012, at 7:13, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 08/01/2012 12:11, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :

>> Out of curiosity: why can't you run m3 on debian linux? m3 is java,
>> you should be able to download it and place it in your path.
>
> I probably could. I simply did not try yet, and relied only on what was
> provided by the distribution.
>
>> I thought everybody who wants to build commons components himself
>> should be able to install m3 on every plattform with java around. Or
>> do I miss something?
>
> My point is simply that requiring very specific tools or tools versions
> that require specific knowledge or installation should be avoided if
> possible. We don't have the resources to help users installing these
> tools too.

We're talking about java programmers here, not app users. I would hope
that installing java, ant and maven is in our audience's wheelhouse.

Gary

> Luc
>

>>> I'm not sure how it is relevant whether commons users use maven 2 or 3. Even
if we require Maven 3 to build a commons component anyone can still use it in a Maven 2 build.
They only would require Maven 3 if they actually want to build one of our artifacts on their
own.