commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [all] Should I update serialVersionUID?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:23:26 GMT
Hi Sébastian,

Sébastien Brisard wrote:

>> Only if the binary layout has changed.
>> - Jörg
> Thanks Jörg for this answer. Only, could you be a bit more specific,
> please? I suppose that if I only change comments,or rename variables,
> I do not change the binary layout. In all other instances I do. Is
> that correct?

Change in binary layout means (unless your type implements
readObject/writeObject methods, that has own rules) any change in the
declaration of (inherited) members:
- change of type
- different declaration sequence (!)
- change of transient mode
or any change in the type inheritance (excluding interfaces).

Changes regarding methods or ctors are opaque to the binary layout.

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message