commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Pyniak, Karol" <karol.pynia...@imperial.ac.uk>
Subject ODP: [math] Prime numbers
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:07:17 GMT
Hi Phil,
Many thanks for the quick reply, and if there is no one else currently working on this, I
will be more than happy to get to know the convention used in the Math package and add some
number theory to the package.

Thanks,
Karol.
Od: dev-return-132133-karol.pyniak09=imperial.ac.uk@commons.apache.org [dev-return-132133-karol.pyniak09=imperial.ac.uk@commons.apache.org]
w imieniu Phil Steitz [phil.steitz@gmail.com]
Wysłano: 22 grudnia 2011 18:58
Do: Commons Developers List
Temat: Re: [math] Prime numbers

On 12/22/11 7:20 AM, Pyniak, Karol wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am new to this mailing list and the development of the apache commons, but I have just
been going through the code of Math package, and couldn't find any code that would be meant
to do primality test. Could you tell me if there is anyone else working on this right now
or maybe there is some reason why the Math package misses any functionality regarding prime
numbers?

Welcome, Karol!

This has been discussed before (see for example [1] - search the
archives for more) and you can see an outstanding item on the math
wishlist [2].  The answer is that no one has stepped up to
contribute this.  As you can see, [math] is mostly analysis and
statistics now, with very little algebra (really just the linear
algebra required for the analysis applications) and no number
theory.  If you are interested in working on primality testing, you
are most welcome to start.  See [3] for some general information
about how to get started contributing.

Phil

[1] http://s.apache.org/87U
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MathWishList*