commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Can the next version major version of a project require Java6? (i.e. drop Java 1.5)
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:14:28 GMT
> [+1] Yes, you may release the next major release of JEXL3 with a Java6
> requirement

I think the maintainers of a component can decide on their own which
jdk they want to support. If you want to support a newer Java with the
next big major version of JEXL I give you my +1. For me a major
version is allowed to break old rules and create new ones.

> PS: Is there a process to formally move a project from Commons to elsewhere
> within Apache?

What exactly do you mean? Make JEXL a top level project or move JEXL
to another toplevel project? Or something completley different?

To move JEXL out of here, i think you should make up a (good) proposal
and vote on this list. I can imagine it would go to the incubator to
build up an community. Anyway I tend to think a component should have
a pretty good size to stand on its own.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de