commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <>
Subject Re: [ALL][VOTE] Rename Commons Sanselan to Commons Image
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:54:16 GMT
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
> On 19/12/2011 14:54, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> This is a VOTE to [ALL] to rename Commons Sanselan to Commons Image.
>> The drive is to have a meaningful obvious name like [Lang], [IO], [Net],
>> and so on.
>> This VOTE is open until December 22, 10AM EST.
> -1.
> The naming decision was made by the community when Sanselan joined
> Commons 2.5 years ago [1] and I see no reason to revisit that decision.
> I am rather disappointed to see this being rehashed after the issue has
> already been resolved.

I think every decision can be revisited at any time, if the
participants of this project feel the need to do so. There is no
decision carved in stone and I am pretty surprised you are
"disappointed" just because something is discussed again - after all,
2.5 years are a long time. Actually I think revisiting old decisions
from time to time is the key for the progress of a project.

> Not all Commons components have functional names. If the Sanselan
> community wants to use that name then I have no problem with that.

I agree, even when I like Commons Image (et al) better. I have not
seen Charles speaking up on this matter, I hope he is still around.

Anyway it should be the Commons Community and the Sanselan Component.

Looking at this:
Most people participating on Sanselan are discussing the rename change.