commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Can the next version major version of a project require Java6? (i.e. drop Java 1.5)
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:51:48 GMT
On 5 December 2011 16:46, henrib <henrib@apache.org> wrote:
> You summed it up pretty well;
> Can we participate in moving forward  - Java6 is not really the bleeding
> edge... - or are we bound to remain on obsolete platforms with Commons ?

That is not a question I can answer, because it's not a simple
dichotomy (if that's the correct word).

It's not my view that all Commons components have to remain on 1.5
until no-one else is using that release.
Nor is it my view that all Commons components should immediately be
able to switch to 1.6.

My view is that while there is still a need for software to be able to
run on Java 1.5, we should not insist on requiring a minimum of
1.6.*unless* there is good technical reason for doing so.

I've yet to see that argument put forward; nor has anyone produced
evidence that Java 1.5 is not still being used in production across
the user base.