commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][email] Release Commons Email 1.3 based on RC2
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 23:28:01 GMT
On 7 December 2011 16:10, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 December 2011 15:38, Siegfried Goeschl <sgoeschl@gmx.at> wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> ad RAT - I added a license header for "mime.types" but doing this for the
>> mail messages is not possible AFAIK since there is no such thing as a
>> comment for mail messages

Did you try using # as the comment marker?
Works for me.

>> ad src zip - need to check since I did a last minute upgrade to the latest
>> commons-parent.pom
>>
>> ad Clirr errors - this reported errors are stemming from two changes
>>
>> 1) I introduced an "EmailConstants.java" to collect all the constants and
>> Email implements EmailConstants
>
> Not sure about that one, I'll check.
>
> It may be a false positive as far as binary compatibility is
> concerned, but it certainly breaks source compatibility and should be
> clearly documented in the release notes.

Constants are OK to remove, because the Java compiler inlines them.

However, mutable fields are not OK to remove unless they are
guaranteed not to be used by user code.

The protected fields ssl and tls have been removed from the Email class.

>> 2) the setter methods of Email return now consistently "this" instead of
>> void
>
> This definitely breaks binary compatibilty; we had a similar issue in
> Commons IO.
> The JVM includes the return type in the method signature when
> resolving references; changing the return type will cause "method not
> found" or similar.
>
>> IMHO both changes do not break binary compatibility for the minor release

Sorry, not true.

==

Also just discovered a test failure when compiling and testing on Win/XP:

testResolvingFileLenient(org.apache.commons.mail.resolver.DataSourceFileResolverTest)
 Time elapsed: 0 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
	at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
	at junit.framework.Assert.assertNull(Assert.java:230)
	at org.apache.commons.mail.resolver.DataSourceFileResolverTest.testResolvingFileLenient(DataSourceFileResolverTest.java:50)

Appears to be due to an OS-specific bug in DataSource resolver.

It checks if the resource "/images/asf_logo_wide.gif" is absolute.
Unfortunately File("/images/asf_logo_wide.gif") is not absolute on
Windows:

On Microsoft Windows systems, a pathname is absolute if its prefix is
a drive specifier followed by "\\", or if its prefix is "\\".