commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <>
Subject Re: [Math] Fraction parsing bug?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:28:12 GMT
> IMHO, no.
> The fact 0 is signed for doubles is really a trick set up in the IEE754 standard only
for dealing with branch cuts (like the division you present). It is not available for other
types like int or longs where 0 is not signed and special numbers like infinity and NaN and
even subnormals do not exist. Our fractions are both closer to the mathematical Z set and
to the computer science int primitives pairs than to double. There is a conversion method
doubleValue, but it should rather be considered an extension than a core feature.
> Luc
I was initially going to answer along these lines, but refrained to do
so, because I realized that Q is actually closer to R than Z. Indeed,
you cannot define a limit in Z, but you probably can in Q, since Q is
dense in R. So, defining a signed zero as being as signed fraction
with absolute value smaller than 1/Integer.MAX_VALUE might be

I'm not saying we should do it, but I can see Gilles' point. Gilles,
do you have any practical application in mind ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message