commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Digester 3.2 based on RC1
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:40:27 GMT
>> [X] -1 no, do not release it because... (please explain why)
>> The NOTICE file mentions http://asm.ow2.org/ but the LICENSE file does
> not include its LICENSE.

ASM is a _transitive_ dependency brought by CGLIB and mentioning it in
the NOTICE file is required for the uber-jar, as expressed in the ASM
license:

"2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

where "the above copyright notice" is

  Copyright (c) 2000-2011 INRIA, France Telecom
  All rights reserved.

included in the NOTICE file, so I don't understand why ASM license
should be included - IANAL (and I don't want to be) so please
everybody explain me

> Ideally the LICENSE file should also state that AL 2.0 applies to CGLIB.

isn't it more enough mention 3rd parties in the NOTICE file?
NOTICE.txt file contains:

  CGLIB - licensed under the Apache License v2.0.
  This product includes software developed by
  Juozas Baliuka, Chris Nokleberg and Sam Berlin (http://cglib.sourceforge.net/)

also in this case, I don't understand LICENSE modifications.

TIA,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi