commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pool] 1.6 proposal
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:36:55 GMT

> Generics would help to ensure suitable types were being used, but> would do nothing
to prevent the subtle threading bugs that misusing a> protected field can cause.>>
To my mind, it would paper over a few cracks, whilst leaving gaping> holes elsewhere.>
we just voted a new maintenance release for [pool] that brings exactly
the same bugs, what should prevent us cutting a new release adding
something comfortable for our users - and some of us, included myself
- such as generics?

> Unfortunately, because the original code was created with exposed> mutable data items,
it's just not possible to fix it without breaking> binary compatibility.

agreed, maybe I got Gary wrong but IIUC the purpose for a 1.6 release
is just providing Generics... or not?
2.0 provides a lot more - not only locks are fixed, but internals are
more performant - so I don't see issues having 1.6 released.

My 0.02 cents,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi