commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [dbcp] InstanceKeyObjectFactory threadsafety (DBCP-369)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:30:24 GMT
The obvious fix here is to synchronize all methods that read or
write instanceMap.  That would include getObjectInstance, which
makes me worry a little about performance impacts.  I am not a JNDI
expert and I get dizzy when I try to trace how tomcat actually
creates and manages datasource instances.  Should I worry about the
performance impacts of adding the syncs necessary to make this class
threadsafe?

It is interesting that given that this code is > 8 years old, this
is the first time a concurrency issue has been reported.

Phil