commons-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Squarcella <squar...@dia.uniroma3.it>
Subject [Graph] Weighted as an interface
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:43:15 GMT
Hello,

I have been reading the source in the past days and I found that the
concept of "weight" (e.g. weighted edge, graph, etc) could benefit from
a bit of abstraction.

The basic idea would be to have an interface called Weighted with an
obvious method getWeight(). Changes in the code would easily derive from
that. As a side effect it would be easy to implement new stuff like
weighted vertices: not as glorious as weighted edges, but still needed
in some problems (e.g. all-pairs bottleneck paths) and therefore
desirable for a general purpose graph API.

One step further. A weight is not necessarily a double: in some cases
not even a number, but rather a "comparable" of some sort. So I would
suggest to make use of generics in some way, possibly the smartest.
Suggestions are welcome :-)

If my thoughts meet some interest I will work on a patch.

Ciao,
Claudio

P.S.
I am a first-timer here, so what follows is a short introduction.
I am doing a PhD in Graph Drawing and Information Visualization. I
always looked for a standard, unified way to represent and handle graphs
when developing prototypes. So my interest in this project is quite
natural, and I am willing to help and see it become a robust project.

--
Claudio Squarcella
PhD student at Roma Tre University