commons-dev mailing list archives

From henrib <hen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Can the next version major version of a project require Java6? (i.e. drop Java 1.5)
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:46:37 GMT
I respect your point of view but it is really hard to attract new
contributors when we first state they MUST code with JDK 1.5.
And again, if the need for a Java 1.5 backport is proven - rather than
imposed by default - , it's always possible to people interested in it to
contribute (and/or ask). Plus I really suspect that for edge projects, there
is absolutely no audience widening in supporting Java 1.5.
Regards,
Henrib

PS: it would be pretty interesting to know which JDK is actually deployed
within enterprises by segment/size. All customers we see - mostly Oracle
customers  as well - now run Java6.