commons-dev mailing list archives

From henrib <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE PROCESS] Stability versus usability
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:39:39 GMT
About the *internal* and @internal (package & annotation);
Of course if we could come up with a "binding" convention on the source
layout and package name for all projects, it would be really nice (i.e. the
*internal* package convention).
(Oh, a common pom where only the source/test/site would be specific and
allow automated reports and release vote publication... just dreaming out

But as a pragmatist, I'd rather have the @internal annotation that can serve
as an intermediate, easy to use way to determine stability (both for the dev
and the user) than nothing that slows down release cycles to a crawl;
forcing projects to align on a source layout convention is likely bound to
fail or at least a very (very very) long path.

One of the goal is to allow at least easier - if not faster - release
cycles; as devs, we'd be made easily aware that we are tinkering with the
API contract and for release voting, it gets easier to control that we've
not unintentionally screwed it up.

Oh, and I do agree on the immutability / thread safety doc. :-)

Sent from the Commons - Dev mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message