commons-dev mailing list archives

From henrib <>
Subject [VOTE] Can the next version major version of a project require Java6? (i.e. drop Java 1.5)
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:17:20 GMT
Sorry to bug everyone again, I'm hopelessly trying to make Commons move a
little forward...

Since a 2-person opposition never breaks the tie, a vote is in order to
decide whether JEXL3 (aka the next major version after 2.1, see JEXL-123)
can actually break loose of Java 1.5 compatibility. (sic)

JEXL3 is intended to be a next major release of JEXL that cleans up the API,
making sure the internal/public contract is crystal clear. Since it is a
major revamp of the API, JEXL3 is intended to be used by new/active projects
that will be deployed on Java6 / Java7. To avoid some development cost, I've
"blatantly" crossed another rule without much thinking by requiring Java6
for JEXL3 (instead of Java5 which is EOL).

Since JEXL2.1 - aka the next imminent version of jexl2 - already targets
Java 1.5, I did not think it would start yet another fight with the release
police. Was I wrong... "Why can't you supporting a EOL-ed platform for a new
version of the project?". (Because it's not a freebie for me but no matter).

So, here we are again for some bickering and vote:
[+1] Yes, you may release the next major release of JEXL3 with a Java6
[-1] No, this is an important case/issue/matter/rule that we continue
supporting Java 1.5
[0]  Don't care

Many thanks to those who will vote for their time and patience;

PS: Is there a process to formally move a project from Commons to elsewhere
within Apache?

Sent from the Commons - Dev mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message