commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] adopt a new skin for commons sites
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:31:40 GMT
Simo,

I love the new skin. I would love to see this instead of the old stuff
for commons. Who really is attracted by a site design like that we
have now (in times of designed computers, iphones etc)? It seems to me
many youngster contribute to the projects with the best looking sites,
not to the projects which have the most use :-)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> I like the skin. Does it also provide syntax highlighting for Java snippets

Not sure if fluido does it out of the box, but if not, we can easily
add this functionality. It is just a few lines javascript and css.
Actually the bootstrap css makers recommend "prettyprint":
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/#typography
(look for "pretty" then you see it quickly)

Somehow I was pretty sure Simo already mentioned this is included.

> I haven't tested the skin on a wide screen, does it expand on the whole
> width or is there a maximum width? The readability is usually considered
> better when the lines of text aren't too long.

Fluido uses the "container-fluid" container, which is the
recommendation for doc sites. But you can "fix" the size of the
content columns but adding a css class like for example: <div
class="span10">text</div>

> A new skin could be the opportunity to rethink the content of the sites. In
> particular I find the menus too verbose and messy. The Maven reports are
> often useless for a public website, for example who cares about the
> Checkstyle or the Findbugs reports besides the developers?

+1

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de