commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <>
Subject Re: [math] Inconsistencies (bugs) in PascalDistribution?
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 02:35:33 GMT
Hi Mikkel
> Thanks for discovering this! I did the implementation, and apparently
> assumed notation as the referred source. Sorry for this.
I think there is nothing wrong in the source. Only, you adopted a
different definition of the random variable represented by the
implemented PascalDistribution:
1. In wikipedia, the r-parameter is the total number of failures,
2. In the CM implementation, the Javadoc states that r is the total
number of successes, and the PMF is (correctly) derived accordingly.
> We should also check the variance - this might be suffering from wrong
> notation as well.
Yes, I'll do that, too!
> Cheers, Mikkel.
Now is not a good time to work on o.a.c.m.distribution, since
Christian is working on MATH-703. Once this is done, I'll commit a
patch to correct this. You will be very welcome to review the changes
(except of course if you want to alter your baby yourself ;) ).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message