commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] release plan for 3.0 ?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:28:02 GMT
Hello,

Issues that I have reported are
  * MATH-581 (Support for iterative linear solvers): there is now a
framework for this feature, as well as two solvers (conjugate
gradient, SYMMLQ). While this might be extended with other solvers as
well, it could certainly wait (and would not lead to a change in the
API). The design of these classes could certainly be improved, but for
this, we probably need people to use them... So I suggest we solve
this issue for the time being. What do you think?
  * MATH-711 (Merge xxxDistribution and xxxDistributionImpl in package
distribution): I'm going to work on this one (should be fairly easy).
  * MATH-655 (General framework for iterative algorithms): this
requires a more thorough discussion, and could probably be tagged as
"won't fix", or delayed to a later version. I would very much like to
have this discussion on the design of custom stopping criteria again,
though.
  * MATH-699 (inverseCumulativeDistribution fails with cumulative
distribution having a plateau): I have posted a new implementation of
inverseCumulativeDistribution which does "not really" solve this
issue. In short, it would allow us to get rid of methods
getDomainUpperBound(double), getDomainLowerBound(double) and
getInitialDomain(double). As for the plateau issue itself, I've added
an extra test which seems fairly robust, but incurs a slight overhead,
so I'm reluctant to include it. Two options here:
    - clearly state in the Javadoc that the default solver *fails* in
the presence of plateau, and be done with it,
    - add a flag to the constructor, to allow for plateau detection.
If you have any opinion on this issue, please state it on the JIRA
ticket. Thanks!

Gilles, if you want, we can coordinate on MATH-689 and MATH-690.

Best regards,
S├ębastien