commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] replace AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolverAbsoluteAccuracy() with AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolver()
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 04:10:44 GMT
Dear Gilles and Phil,
just a quick note to invite you to review the addition I've made to
MATH-699. It turns out I'm struggling with finite precision: it is
difficult to make a consistent use of thresholds. For the time being,
the way I see it is that you are both right, but we can set the design
issues aside right now, because the logical use of these thresholds
requires discussion first. For example, I'm no longer convinced I need
getSolverFunctionValueAccuracy()... So detailed implementation of this
method does not really matter.

As written in MATH-699, I *will* need your help for a careful review
of the code, because something seemingly as simple as detecting a
plateau gives me some troubles. Also, I think we will have to contend
with an implementation which is not completely fool-proof.

Best regards,
S├ębastien