commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] replace AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolverAbsoluteAccuracy() with AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolver()
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:21:25 GMT
Hi,
while working on MATH-699 (which was triggered by MATH-692), I found
some inconsistencies in the use of
UnivariateRealSolver.getAbsoluteAccuracy() and
UnivariateRealSolver.getFunctionValueAccuracy() (see the JIRA ticket
for more details).
In short, the current implementation of AbstractContinuousDistribution
allows customization of the default solver (for inverting the CDF) via
AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolverAbsoluteAccuracy(). To be
completely consistent, we would also need to provide a new method
AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolverFunctionValueAccuracy().
Instead, I suggest we open the possibility to provide a custom solver
to AbstractContinuousDistribution (with all three tolerances set by
the user), as well as a getSolver() method.
What do you think of this change?

S├ębastien