commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] release plan for 3.0 ?
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:41:47 GMT
2011/11/26 Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>:
> On 11/23/11 11:28 PM, Sébastien Brisard wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>   * MATH-699 (inverseCumulativeDistribution fails with cumulative
>> distribution having a plateau): I have posted a new implementation of
>> inverseCumulativeDistribution which does "not really" solve this
>> issue. In short, it would allow us to get rid of methods
>> getDomainUpperBound(double), getDomainLowerBound(double) and
>> getInitialDomain(double). As for the plateau issue itself, I've added
>> an extra test which seems fairly robust, but incurs a slight overhead,
>> so I'm reluctant to include it. Two options here:
>>     - clearly state in the Javadoc that the default solver *fails* in
>> the presence of plateau, and be done with it,
>>     - add a flag to the constructor, to allow for plateau detection.
>> If you have any opinion on this issue, please state it on the JIRA
>> ticket. Thanks!
> See comments on the ticket.  Christian's idea will work - i.e. only
> check if the support is not connected.
>
> Phil
Yes, I do think it's a very good idea. I will commit the new code
(including Christian's work-around) once MATH-703 is resolved, as the
two overlap. Meanwhile, while working on MATH-711 yesterday, I found
some inconsistencies in the implementations. I need to look into it in
more depth, just to make sure I did not misunderstand, and will
report.
Sébastien