commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [csv] API design
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:26:45 GMT
Le 29/11/2011 14:43, Matt Benson a écrit :

> Well, assuming "header-free" CSV output you could do any odd thing like:
>
> foo;bar;(2);element1;element2;
>
> giving an open-ended format.  Not saying such would be the greatest
> idea, but could be usable under the right circumstances.
> Alternatively, one could embed the collection:
>
> foo;bar;"{element1;element2}"

... and it starts to get fun when you want to escape the special
characters '"', ';' and '}' in the collection ;)

It's possible to tailor a CSV like format that supports collections, but
if it doesn't interoperate with other CSV tools it's hardly useful. If
people want a more capable format without caring about interoperability
there are legions of alternative serialization APIs available.

That's why I think [csv] should focus on the simple format defined by
RFC4180, exotic features are for more ambitious projects (at least for now).

Emmanuel Bourg