commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] replace AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolverAbsoluteAccuracy() with AbstractContinuousDistribution.getSolver()
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 17:47:31 GMT
On 11/6/11 10:24 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 09:28:48AM -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> [I did not follow all the details of this discussion; sorry if I'm slightly
>>> off base.]  But, if somewhere some _default_ accuracy is needed to pass to a
>>> _default_ solver, I'd say: instantiate the solver using its _default_
>>> constructor; thus, no need to chase up instance variables used further up
>>> the hierarchy.
>> Read the post.  What is being reused is the default value itself.
>> There may or may not be a solver instantiated.
> If there is no solver, why would you want to access an instance variable of
> the solvers's base class?

What the code could use is access to the *default* function value
accuracy, essentially to reuse the default value.  This is a reason
that it is good to expose default configuration properties as public
constants.  What the code is doing is checking to see if the domain
upper / lower bounds return values under the function that are
within the default function value accuracy (logically a property of
the distribution at this point).  If this test succeeds, one of the
domain endpoints will be returned and no solver will be
instantiated.  It would be nice from a consistency perspective to
use the default that BaseAbstractUnivariateRealSolver defines.

Phil