commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] RandomDataImpl refactoring
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:04:52 GMT
Le 05/11/2011 08:29, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> The comments in MATH-701 included a couple of suggestions for
> refactoring RandomDataImpl.
>
> 1) Eliminate the lazy initialization of the non-secure and secure
> generators.  Have the constructor initialize the generators
> instead.  I am fine with this for the non-secure generator, but
> initializing a secure random generator can be quite slow, so that is
> not a good idea.

I agree.

> 2) Split out the secure stuff into a separate class, possibly a
> subclass.  I am ambivalent on this one, as I see RandomDataImpl as a
> utility class and it is convenient to have the most commonly used
> data generation utilities bundled together.  The "secure" methods
> only generate hex strings, ints and longs.  I have never had the
> need or heard of the need for "secure" gaussians or the other
> non-secure deviates.  Has anyone else?  Any comments either way on this?

The only needs for secure random generators I know of is for creating
crypto keys. I feal this is out of scope of our library. For sure,
crypto is a mathematical thing, but we don't provide anything except
these random generation, which in fact does not do anything fancy but
only requires an underlying secure generator.

So I would be happy to completely remove this stuff.

Luc