commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] release plan for 3.0 ?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:40:00 GMT
Hi.

> Issues that I have reported are
>   * MATH-581 (Support for iterative linear solvers): there is now a
> framework for this feature, as well as two solvers (conjugate
> gradient, SYMMLQ). While this might be extended with other solvers as
> well, it could certainly wait (and would not lead to a change in the
> API). The design of these classes could certainly be improved, but for
> this, we probably need people to use them... So I suggest we solve
> this issue for the time being. What do you think?

+1

>   * MATH-711 (Merge xxxDistribution and xxxDistributionImpl in package
> distribution): I'm going to work on this one (should be fairly easy).
>   * MATH-655 (General framework for iterative algorithms): this
> requires a more thorough discussion, and could probably be tagged as
> "won't fix", or delayed to a later version.

+1 (leaving open)

> I would very much like to
> have this discussion on the design of custom stopping criteria again,
> though.
>   * MATH-699 (inverseCumulativeDistribution fails with cumulative
> distribution having a plateau): I have posted a new implementation of
> inverseCumulativeDistribution which does "not really" solve this
> issue. In short, it would allow us to get rid of methods
> getDomainUpperBound(double), getDomainLowerBound(double) and
> getInitialDomain(double). As for the plateau issue itself, I've added
> an extra test which seems fairly robust, but incurs a slight overhead,
> so I'm reluctant to include it. Two options here:
>     - clearly state in the Javadoc that the default solver *fails* in
> the presence of plateau, and be done with it,
>     - add a flag to the constructor, to allow for plateau detection.
> If you have any opinion on this issue, please state it on the JIRA
> ticket. Thanks!

+1

The most flexible seems to have two constructors, one with the flag, and
the other where the flag defaults to false ("do not try to detect plateau"),
stating the caveat in the Javadoc.

> Gilles, if you want, we can coordinate on MATH-689 and MATH-690.

OK. But first I wanted to make sure that the proposed changes are agreed on.

Regards,
Gilles