commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [lang] UUIDUtils
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:00:45 GMT
Actually, UUID implementations aren't really obsolete. The Random UUID generated by Java can't
be guaranteed to be unique, just that the probability that it is is very high.  In many circumstances
it is desirable to have a UUID where the uniqueness properties are known - such as a type
1 UUID. For that reason I had to implement my own UUID class at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers/log4j2-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/helpers/UUIDUtil.java.
 I can think of other circumstances where a Type 1 UUID may not be quite sufficient and the
algorithm will need to be modified somewhat.

FWIW, In my research on UUIDs I ran across http://johannburkard.de/software/uuid/ which would
be a good implementation of a type 1 uuid - except it isn't thread safe. See my comments at
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/TimeBaseUUIDNotes

Ralph