commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1177938 - /commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:03:36 GMT
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote:

> On 3 October 2011 14:58, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:

[snip]

>> If you set eol-style, Subversion will automatically convert the EOLs at
>> commit - unless your file has mixed line endings. Then it will refuse the
>> commit action. However, Subversion will not add the property
>> automatically unless you've setup ~/.subversion/config (or the
>> appropriate location in Windows) to add it automatically at first commit
>> (see autoprops).
>
> Yes, I know.
>
>> It is
>> possible to set the autoprops of all files of a project at once
>> (according the local settings) using the svn_apply_autoprops.py script.
>
> I did not know about the script.
>
> The problem is that the commit e-mail sometimes flags the whole file
> as having been changed, even if the only change is the eol setting.
> In the past I've used svn diff locally before committing eol fixes,
> and the contents part of the diff does not always agree with what the
> commit message shows.
> There have been occasions when local diff shows content change, but
> commit message does not, and vice-versa.

The server-side diff will detect only changes on server side. The client
will translate EOLs at checkout and when checking in (in case of a change).
I assume that without any eol-style setting, the server will treat the file
as binary, while the presence of the flag indicates "text" and the server
might use an internal EOL style as normalized version. Don't know if it's
the server's native style or LF (less bytes), I've never transported a svn
repo from Windows to Linux or vice versa. However, if the server's
representation differs after the commit, you'll see the changes - otherwise
not.

- Jörg