commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1177938 - /commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:58:19 GMT
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote:

> 2011/10/1 Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.brisard@m4x.org>:
>> Yes I realized this morning that during my last modification of
>> CholeskyDecomposition, the svn properties had gone (need to check my
>> config).
>> I committed a patch to remedy that, but I thought it would generate
>> only a very small diff. In fact, as Luc suggested, it probably has to
>> do with line endings which have been corrected. I'm relieved, I didn't
>> want to mess up the code itself...
>> Thanks for your answers !
>
> In theory, if the eol-style property is added from an OS with the same
> EOL as the orginal commit, there should be no difference in content.
>
> However, I have found that does not always seem to be the case, and
> sometimes using a different OS does not generate a content diff
> either.
> There's probably a subtle trigger for this behaviour, but I don't know
> what it is.
>
> The best cure is to ensure that files are always added with the
> correct EOL originally.
> We should really be looking out for this when reviewing commits.

If you set eol-style, Subversion will automatically convert the EOLs at
commit - unless your file has mixed line endings. Then it will refuse the
commit action. However, Subversion will not add the property automatically
unless you've setup ~/.subversion/config (or the appropriate location in
Windows) to add it automatically at first commit (see autoprops). It is
possible to set the autoprops of all files of a project at once (according
the local settings) using the svn_apply_autoprops.py script.

- Jörg