commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1177938 - /commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:09:48 GMT
On 3 October 2011 14:58, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> sebb wrote:
>
>> 2011/10/1 Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.brisard@m4x.org>:
>>> Yes I realized this morning that during my last modification of
>>> CholeskyDecomposition, the svn properties had gone (need to check my
>>> config).
>>> I committed a patch to remedy that, but I thought it would generate
>>> only a very small diff. In fact, as Luc suggested, it probably has to
>>> do with line endings which have been corrected. I'm relieved, I didn't
>>> want to mess up the code itself...
>>> Thanks for your answers !
>>
>> In theory, if the eol-style property is added from an OS with the same
>> EOL as the orginal commit, there should be no difference in content.
>>
>> However, I have found that does not always seem to be the case, and
>> sometimes using a different OS does not generate a content diff
>> either.
>> There's probably a subtle trigger for this behaviour, but I don't know
>> what it is.
>>
>> The best cure is to ensure that files are always added with the
>> correct EOL originally.
>> We should really be looking out for this when reviewing commits.
>
> If you set eol-style, Subversion will automatically convert the EOLs at
> commit - unless your file has mixed line endings. Then it will refuse the
> commit action. However, Subversion will not add the property automatically
> unless you've setup ~/.subversion/config (or the appropriate location in
> Windows) to add it automatically at first commit (see autoprops).

Yes, I know.

> It is
> possible to set the autoprops of all files of a project at once (according
> the local settings) using the svn_apply_autoprops.py script.

I did not know about the script.

The problem is that the commit e-mail sometimes flags the whole file
as having been changed, even if the only change is the eol setting.
In the past I've used svn diff locally before committing eol fixes,
and the contents part of the diff does not always agree with what the
commit message shows.
There have been occasions when local diff shows content change, but
commit message does not, and vice-versa.