commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1177938 - /commons/proper/math/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:02:37 GMT
2011/10/1 Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.brisard@m4x.org>:
> Yes I realized this morning that during my last modification of
> CholeskyDecomposition, the svn properties had gone (need to check my
> config).
> I committed a patch to remedy that, but I thought it would generate
> only a very small diff. In fact, as Luc suggested, it probably has to
> do with line endings which have been corrected. I'm relieved, I didn't
> want to mess up the code itself...
> Thanks for your answers !

In theory, if the eol-style property is added from an OS with the same
EOL as the orginal commit, there should be no difference in content.

However, I have found that does not always seem to be the case, and
sometimes using a different OS does not generate a content diff
either.
There's probably a subtle trigger for this behaviour, but I don't know
what it is.

The best cure is to ensure that files are always added with the
correct EOL originally.
We should really be looking out for this when reviewing commits.