commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ognl] SVN $ID and @author
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 09:42:09 GMT
On 15 October 2011 10:26, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can be useful, if one comes across a source file in isolation from SVN.
>
> What exactly can this person then do with a revision number, my
> committer name and the date i have last commited if he does not know
> about svn revisions, who else does commit and when last commit was?
>
>> For example, in source archives.
>
> With what would I compare this number when I get it from a source archive?

It can then readily be compared with current SVN to see what has
changed; much easier than finding the SVN tag for the archive (which
requires knowledge of ASF procedures).

>> Also as comments in generated HTML files..
>
> If I want to compare if the generated HTML file like javdoc is
> actually in sync with my sourcfile? Who really does this, when mvn
> javadoc:javadoc is so easy?

Not for comparison; it gives some idea when the file was last updated.

Also, it's not just javadoc.

>>> If we keep it, we need to move it on class level docs.
>>
>> Or at least below the AL header.
>
> please build and look at checkstyle-header.txt from target/ folder. To
> my understanding it can't be inside the header it must be an extra
> block. Guess, a third comment block would conflict with checkstyle too
> (not tried)

Placement is a separate issue.