commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MATH] Re: Pivoting QR Decomposition: Take Two!
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:03:24 GMT
Sounds like it would be nice to have both implementations in the same class
with a "usePivoting(boolean)" method to select which is used.  I would
recommend pivoting as the default since it gives fewer surprises and more
diagnostic information to the naive user.

Except for the extra indexing costs, a pivoting implementation should be
about twice as costly as a non-pivoting implementation.  If you don't do the
pivoting by indirection, this could be significantly more due to copying.

I haven't had instances where I would have much cared, but it would be nice
to have the option for extra speed if I needed it.