commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] rename o.a.c.m.linear.SingularMatrixException to SingularLinearOperatorException
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:34:50 GMT
Right. I tend to like self-describing names also good. In french
(you've rightly spotted a non-native speaker...), an "operator" is not
necessarily linear, and I think same goes to english terminology
(could you confirm please). So a linear operator is not exactly
identical to an operator.
However, as Phil pointed out, the distinction does not really matter
when it goes to exceptions. So maybe I could replace LinearOperator
with Operator in exception names. For other classes, with more
mathematical meaning, we could keep LinearOperator, even if it makes
for very long names. Would that suit everyone?
Sébastien