commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] SYMMLQ implementation notes
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:44:12 GMT
Hi,
I've spent quite a lot of time going through Pr. Saunders' FORTRAN
implementation of this algorithm, and the Java port is almost ready.
This algorithm is quite difficult to read, because some quantities
required at iteration k can be computed only in iteration (k+1). So
one must be careful in managing the loops, and especially moving
around some pieces of code. I feel that for maintenance purposes in
the future (for example, when we will be ready to introduce custom
stopping criteria), it would be useful to have detailed implementation
notes, where the correspondance between Java variables and the
mathematical variables of the original paper (including the index of
the iteration!) would be clearly stated.

I've taken some notes for myself, it would be useful if those notes
were actually shipped with the code (or would it?). Considering the
recent posts on the sine cardinal, Javadoc are *definitely* not the
place where I should put these notes. Where should these go
  - separate document (LaTeX), which would go in a linear/doc-files
subdirectory in order to be copied with the javadoc (which could point
at that document)
  - html page in the website (User Guide? But this is really intended
for developers)
  - any other option?

In any case, the notes would benefit from a little bit of mathematical
formatting. My preferred option would be LaTeX, but I can live with an
HTML page with embedded MathML (provided the Commons-Math site
resulting from mvn site:site can support MathML -- anyone ever
tried?).

Do you think that these notes should really be attached to the CM
library? If yes, any suggestion as to where and how?

Thanks!
S├ębastien