commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] Continuous Distribution
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 04:31:03 GMT
Hi,
The following question might sound stupid, but occured to me while
thinking about MATH-692. So here goes. What was initially meant by
"Continuous Distribution" (as in AbstractContinuousDistribution) ?
My view on this is that the underlying random variable is defined by a
*density*, which takes *continuous* arguments. But nothing prevents
this density to be infinite at some *discrete* points (Dirac
generalized function). Then the cumulative sum would be only piecewise
C1.
When these distributions were first implemented, was it intended to
include this case?
I should add that this case is not purely academic: it is frequently
met in the analysis of random heterogeneous materials (for example:
assemblies of hard, monodisperse spheres of radius 0.5: some
observables have such a singularity at r = 1).

Best regards,
S├ębastien