commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] multiply a Field element by an integer
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:08:13 GMT
Hello,
I'm constantly facing the problem of multiplying a FieldElement by an
int. I think this is mathematically meaningful, since n.x = x + x +
... + x (n times). I know the current trend is *not* to polute the
interface of a given class with many very specific methods, but I do
think that this one is essential. Should I add it to the interface of
FieldElement<T>?
Typical example of use: I'm doing some calcs on multivariate
polynomials with CM. The coefficients are FieldElement<T>, and the
polynomials are actually Taylor expansions. So, I'm basically trying
to compute (1+x)**n = 1+n*x+..., where x is a polynomial with T
coefficients. Hence multiplication by integers.

S├ębastien