commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Support for Abelian Groups and Rings?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:23:15 GMT
> I would be curious to see how such a class would actually help you.  I have
> to admit that a big part of my curiosity is due to the fact that I don't
> understand how it really would help.  It could be, as you say, beautiful but
> useful is sometimes are more difficult goal with these things.
>
> I would also like to see if you are able to express enough interesting
> structure in the Java type system so as to be useful.
>
> So please do create a prototype.  It will be very interesting to see it.

I had nothing fancy in mind. I wanted merely to build a Group and a
Ring following what has been done in CM with Field/FieldElement.
I already had the opportunity to mention this library, but Jean-Marie
Dautelle's JScience is a good example of implementation of all these
mathematical structures (http://jscience.org/). However, I tend to
prefer the way Fields are implemented in CM (there are slight
differences, most notably getZero() and getOne() which are missing in
JScience).
If you are still interested, I'll post (not commit, I got the
message!!!) tentative interfaces once I've written them.
Sébastien