commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Functor 1.0 based on RC1
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:04:42 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:27 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 October 2011 11:03, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
>> Le 21/10/2011 11:10, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
>>
>>> So, as you proposed, would be reasonable to drop the 1.0 and decide
>>> upon for a 0.1 as current release?
>>
>> Yes, or a 1.0-beta with clear indications that this is a preview intended to
>> gather user feedback.
>
> I don't think it's ready for beta status yet.
>
> But - is there any pressing need to make a release?

The most immediate thing is that [proxy] 2 needs a unary predicate.
It becomes ridiculous for every component we have to define such a
basic interface in a different way.  So [proxy] 2 can never be
released without a [functor] release, etc.

> For developer testing, a snapshot release is probably sufficient, and
> can be updated very quickly - no need for a vote.

This is indeed sufficient for the immediate future, but again, becomes
*insufficient* soon enough.  I don't personally see what purpose is
served by a 0.x release, but I have to say it's frustrating to work on
a component and only when a release is proposed does everyone who
couldn't have cared less before come out of the woodwork to suddenly
find design issues (issues such as undocumented @SuppressWarnings come
down to personal opinion and I would personally argue they shouldn't
be release blockers, particularly as more often than not the
justification is obvious).  For those of you who have suddenly decided
you care about this component:  if we discuss and resolve the
fundamental design concerns (i.e. no promises beyond reaching
consensus), can you stay engaged long enough for us to get this
wrapped up?

Matt