commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Functor 1.0 based on RC1
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:57:24 GMT
On 10/21/11 8:04 AM, Matt Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:27 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, or a 1.0-beta with clear indications that this is a preview intended to
>>> gather user feedback.
>> I don't think it's ready for beta status yet.
>>
>> But - is there any pressing need to make a release?
> The most immediate thing is that [proxy] 2 needs a unary predicate.
> It becomes ridiculous for every component we have to define such a
> basic interface in a different way.  So [proxy] 2 can never be
> released without a [functor] release, etc.
>
>> For developer testing, a snapshot release is probably sufficient, and
>> can be updated very quickly - no need for a vote.
> This is indeed sufficient for the immediate future, but again, becomes
> *insufficient* soon enough.  I don't personally see what purpose is
> served by a 0.x release, but I have to say it's frustrating to work on
> a component and only when a release is proposed does everyone who
> couldn't have cared less before come out of the woodwork to suddenly
> find design issues (issues such as undocumented @SuppressWarnings come
> down to personal opinion and I would personally argue they shouldn't
> be release blockers, particularly as more often than not the
> justification is obvious).  For those of you who have suddenly decided
> you care about this component:  if we discuss and resolve the
> fundamental design concerns (i.e. no promises beyond reaching
> consensus), can you stay engaged long enough for us to get this
> wrapped up?

+1 to letting them who does the work decide when and what to
release.  That said, things work better when we make at least some
attempt at the the tasks under "Select a Release Manager" in [1].
Its better to talk a little about the plan for a release so
interested parties can weigh in before RCs are cut and VOTEs begin.
Apologies if this was done for the current [functor] release and I
just missed the thread.

[1] http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

Phil