commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] advertising MathXxExceptions
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:57:33 GMT
I have been leaving the standard exception advertisements alone as I
s/MathRuntimeException.createXxException/new MathXxException, but I
notice others are changing the @throws to declare the
MathXxException.  We should probably be consistent.  I don't know if
it really makes any difference.  I see a pro and a con for each
approach:

advertise MathXxx
pro: users can catch / differentiate math-generated exceptions from
other standard exceptions of the same type up the stack
con: users may needlessly scratch heads or check javadoc to make
sure that, e.g. MathIAE *is* IAE, so they can skip the import and
catch IAE.

advertise Xxx
pro: follows "favor standard exceptions" practice and avoids need to
head scratch or import (also the ones that I am talking about are
really just the standard exceptions with localized
message-generation capability)
con: users don't know they can catch the more specific exception

Phil