commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1179928 - in [...]
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:05:47 GMT
Hi Phil.

>  Can you live with r1180315?

[I guess that you are talking to me.]

I still stand with the arguments of my other post about this "1e-9" constant
being confusing for the "non numerics-aware" users.
However, I can understand that we may want to also document the departure
from the math definition incurred by numerical considerations.  So, I'd
propose to add:
  "The direct assignment to 1 for values below 1e-9 is an efficiency
   optimization on the ground that the result of the full computation
   is indistinguishable from 1 due to the limited accuracy of the floating
   point representation."

Is that OK with you?

Regards,
Gilles