commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [MATH] Re: Pivoting QR Decomposition: Take Two!
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:23:23 GMT
On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 07:52:55PM -0500, Greg Sterijevski wrote:
> If you really think about, all of the decomposition classes should be
> handled by factories. The decompositions all seem to occur in the
> constructor. Everything else is derived from those results, so one could
> argue that the actual decomposition code could be written very procedurally
> and put into the factory as a static private method. The returned class from
> the factory would be nothing more than a container of the results and
> methods to get the data and derivatives of the data.

Sorry, but I don't see the logical link between "all calculations occur in
the constructor" and "factories". That's why I had been expecting a real
example that would clearly show that the current applications of the
decomposition classes could be more elegantly and/or efficiently be dealt
with in a design based on factories. [But we can/should defer this
discussion until after the release of 3.0.]

Best,
Gilles